Agriculture is an art and science of cultivation. It is a practice of cultivating land, growing crops, and raising live stocks. The agriculture industry plays an important role in the Indian Economy as over 70% of the rural population is dependent on agriculture itself. It also contributes about 17% of GDP and provides employment too.
The industry of agriculture is growing huge, and in the last two years, the agriculture sector experienced profitable growth. Thus, there is a growth in demand for young talented agriculture graduates.
The industry of agriculture has a great scope of success for aspirants. Agriculture is an interesting and excellent field to build a career. If you are a student from the science stream and also interested in Bio-Chemistry or Plant Technology then you can pursue your education with M.Sc in agriculture.
A Master’s degree (M.Sc) in agriculture allows you to have a broad overview of the various practices of agriculture which helps to increase crop yields, manage pests and viruses, improve soil fertility, and conservation of water and its resources.
There are many Msc Agriculture college in Bhopal and this course engages you in many types of research about agricultural techniques. It contains many specializations to boost your knowledge and skills in agriculture. Specializations such as – Agronomy, Horticulture, Entomology, Plant Pathology, Biotechnology, Agricultural Economics, Farm Management, Agricultural Extension, and Communication.
Branches/Subjects of M.Sc Agriculture
M.Sc Agriculture is a deep sea to dive into to study various specializations. To study, learn and build up your knowledge and career. Here are some popular specializations of M.Sc agriculture.
1. Agronomy Agronomy is on the top list of specializations as it is treated as a Mother of All Specializations. Agronomy focuses on the various applications in soil and plant science, scientific agriculture, and crop production. This course contains teachings on modern crop production concepts, agricultural research organization, advanced crop ecology, soil management, pest management strategies, physiology of drought, crop cultivation, application of fertilizers, advanced irrigation strategies, and others. M.Sc agriculture in agronomy’s prime focus is to develop sustainable practices in the agricultural sector which include scientific techniques and technology which are beneficial for both environment and agricultural farmers.
2. Horticulture– Horticulture includes the study of the branch of plant agriculture that deals with garden crops i.e. vegetables, fruits, nuts, and ornamental plants. In M.Sc, Horticulture is another popular specialization that is designed to understand and learn the process of cultivation of plants, harvesting, breeding, storage of vegetable plants, management techniques, marketing, and others. This course also makes you learn about the details of the eco-friendly practices of the production of fruits, vegetables, seeds, and crops.
3. Plant Pathology– M.Sc in Plant Pathology specialization includes the study of the cause of plant diseases, diagnosis and to manage and cure of that disease. The course provides the study of the environmental problems, the mechanism by which diseases develop in plants, crop protection, different types of plant diseases and to manage and control of those diseases by the application of environmentally friendly methods to protect the crops and plants.
4. Forestry– It mainly includes studying and researching different types of forests and their ecology. The students will be able to get familiar with models of forest inventory, proper utilization of forest resources that are beneficial for the environment, wood harvesting, taking proper care of trees, repairing forests, and others.
5. Entomology – Entomology is a branch of zoology. This specialization revolves around the scientific study of insects and their interaction with the environment. This course is best for those students who have an interest in the study of different species of insects, insect ecology, and their impact on the ecosystem. It also provides vast knowledge on the topics like insect pathology, managing soil arthropods, insect morphology, physiology and nutrition, the strategies of pest management, and others.
Recently, the agriculture industry has been boosted. There is a remarkable expansion that comes with the help of science and technology. Thus, there are tremendous opportunities that are welcoming the aspirants. Yes, B.Sc in agriculture can give you employment but M.Sc has its importance to pursue your master’s in agriculture. The best private University in MP such as MGU offers MSc in Agriculture along with Bsc and Bsc (H) in Agriculture.
IMPORTANCE OF PURSUING M.SC IN AGRICULTURE
- Career Opportunities– The scope in the agriculture industry increased with a master’s degree both in the government and private sectors. With a master’s degree, the opportunities in the agriculture sector become better. A Master’s degree provides you with the skill and knowledge that helps to manage the business in agriculture and farms. You can get the opportunities to work in areas such as Marketing, Sales, Farming Journalism, Food Production, Community Development, and Addressing changes in climate and environment. Several government positions i.e. Officer Level there to work for. Master’s degree holders can pursue their careers in teaching also; by becoming professors and lecturers in the top universities both in government and private. Master’s degree holders allow the chance of promotions in jobs and you will reach to work in high-profile positions. Average salaries of Master’s degree holders in agriculture range from 5LPA to 8LPA which gradually increases with experience.
- Future Scope– Agriculture has a wide scope for the future. It brings many sections together which include plants, crops, animals, forests, flowers, farming practices, economics, climate, and environment. With M.Sc in agriculture, students can enhance their skills and technical knowledge which further uplifts their careers. Master’s degree holders can pursue becoming scientists and can opt for future education by pursuing a PhD.
- Prepare To Tackle The Challenge – In the near future, the world will be facing food crises due to climate change (i.e. drought, floods, and poor crops), an increase in population, and other factors. The consumption of food is more than production is the biggest challenge. We need to innovate and progress the agriculture methods to meet the needs of How to feed the world.
Thus, the aspirants who have skilled knowledge to tackle the current and future challenges can help to solve the problems. By pursuing masters the students help the agricultural industry as well as the world.
- Encourage Organic – Organic farming is the future of farming. As chemical fertilizers almost ruined the quality of the soil. Then it is important to switch to organic farming methods. It is best to grow food in an organic way which is not only best for the soil but for us and the environment also. It might take time for the organic production of crops but it will be worth it. In organic farming, you will earn profits but also offer healthy food to the communities.
- Working with Innovative Technology – Innovative technology is playing an important role in the way to produce food. The technologies such as drones, robotic harvesters, autonomous tractors, and modern greenhouses are changing the face of agriculture. Combining innovation with agriculture will open new ways to face and solve the challenges of agriculture and the production of crops. Agriculture is a vital segment of the Indian economy. The latest increase in demand for food leads this sector to the high demand for techniques used in the agriculture sector to grow and meet the needs.
A Master’s degree allows you to learn technology and how to use it. It is a pivotal task to grow sufficient food, protect crops, and distribute it to ensure that every community gets access to food worldwide.
We all know the agriculture sector is growing massively thus there is the demand for graduate and postgraduate aspirants is increasing. To build your career in the agriculture sector you need to get a qualification in that field. Post-graduation holds importance. Yes, it is good to opt for post-graduation in agriculture. The students who graduated with B.Sc in agriculture can further join the masters in agriculture.
M.Sc agriculture opens the door to huge job opportunities. Thus the question arises of where to get the best qualification. There are many universities for master’s degree programs but every student wants the best for them.
MANSAROVAR GLOBAL UNIVERSITY (MGU)
Mansarovar Global University is the best private agriculture college in MP. This private university is located in Bhopal(MP) and was established by Sri Sai Gramothan Samiti in 2018. For the past 25 years, this university had vast experience in establishing educational institutions in the education field.
MGU is the best private university to offer the best education, practical knowledge, and opportunities to learn in the real world. With great infrastructure and highly qualified and experienced faculties, they prepare students for tomorrow.
MGU faculty in Agriculture provides a master’s degree in agriculture. M.Sc is a Master in Science Post Graduate program of 2 years duration (in semester mode) in the main streams like
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Pathology
- Organic Farming
- Agriculture Extension
- Soil Science
- Agriculture Economics
- Environmental Science
The master’s program includes extensive knowledge of the subjects. The concepts of crop quality improvement, testing, developing quality seeds, high-yield production, and screening are also included in the degree program. This course will develop the skills of the students that build the influence in the agriculture sector in the production and distribution of crops. This course will help to develop specialized skills and techniques in the fields of economics, marketing, agriculture business, and others.
The eligibility criteria for admission in M.Sc Agriculture at Mansarovar Global University is to pass with 50% aggregate Marks in B.Sc Agriculture or Horticulture or Equivalent from the recognized university. As per State Government Norms, the Relaxation will be provided to the Reserved Category. 5% relaxation is given to the students of the North East including the states Sikkim/ Defense Personnel and their Dependents/ Wards of Kashmiri Migrants.
Admission will be based on Merit in the qualifying examination. As per State Government Norms, the reservation will be given to SC/ST/OBC/PH. For more information, you can visit their official website mguindia.com.